PLEASE NOTE THIS INFORMATION WAS WRITTEN IN 2012 AND MAY NO LONGER BE UP TO DATE. UNFORTUNATELY THE EAST OR EINGLAND HEALTH TRAINER HUB IS NO LONGER OPERATIONAL.
Health Trainer Services (HTS) across the East of England (EoE) choose their service model to meet the needs of target groups and communities in their areas. Services often have a combination of Health Trainer (HT) and Health Champion (HC) roles but can be run with only HTS or HCs. The flexibility of the HT models lends them to be established in a variety of settings. So far within the EoE these include community settings, prisons, probation services, voluntary sector, acute sector, Armed Forces, Gypsy & Traveller sites, GP practices and the workplace. Until recently all Primary Care Trusts in the area had a HT service, 9 out of the 15 prisons and 2 probation services.
The majority of EoE HTs and HCs were recruited from the most deprived local communities and groups and support people to change the behaviours that can harm their lives, e.g smoking, drinking alcohol above safe level, being inactive and not eating 5 portions of fruit & vegetables a day. Helping people to change these behaviours result in the improvement of health and wellbeing of those in the most deprived areas.
Many of the HTs and HCs had either no prior qualifications or experience in the health arena and now have their first nationally recognised qualification and or job; thereby reducing their own and their family’s deprivation.
The EoE HTS are supported by a regional hub and hold their meetings in Cambridge.
Health Trainer Reports
- (2012) East of England Regional Health Trainer Services
- (2012) East of England Regional Health Trainer Service models Evaluation Report
- (2011) NHS Norfolk’s Health Trainer Service Value for Money Report
- (2011) East of England Regional Health Trainer Service models Evaluation Report
- (2010) East of England Regional Health Trainer Annual Report
- (2010) Learning disabilities guidance Revised Report. Office for Disability Issues. mencap.
- (2009) East of England Regional Health Trainer Annual Report
- Personal Health Trainers in Cambridgeshire report
- (2012) East of England Health Trainer Evidence Briefing
- (August 2011) Anglian Community Enterprise Health Trainer Champions magazine
- Community development training Health Trainer Evaluation
- (Map) Most Deprived Areas by Region, East of England Health Trainers (available as .jpg image)
- Green, S. (2011) East of England Health Trainer Service Operational Document
- (2011) East of England Health Trainer Highlights
- (2011) East of England Health Trainer Evidence Briefing
- (2010) East of England Health Profile
- Wood, S., McConville, A., Green, S. (2007) Health Trainer Models in the East of England: Spreading Best Practice
East of England Learning Disabilities Guidance
- Seeking Consent: working with people with learning disabilities
- Food labels: more informed choices. Food Standards Agency.